I have been working on a lot of new recipes lately. So I will get them all up here over time. But one thing my son and I love to do is bake muffins. So this morning we decided to make them Strawberry Cheesecake inspired… Sort of a similar vibe to my Strawberry Almond Black Tea Muffins which are also delightful 😉
I also wanted to try a little experiment because strawberries are too juicy a berry for baking typically.. they can make a muffin hella-soggy… So for this recipe I did mostly partially dehydrated strawberries with a few finely chopped up fresh-frozen strawberries as well. Just to see the difference. But when I say finely chopped I mean like teensy tiny. Because they are going to be moist I didn’t want large chunks to mess with my muffin texture!!
I will likely augment this even more over time. But I started with a recipe I found online and messed around with it. My changes I mark with an * (also I realized I forgot the 1/4 tsp baking soda – oops lol – whelp we shall see how they turn out without it! So I deleted that from my version…)
How did they turn out!? Yummy! I think I might try freezing tiny cubes of cream cheese to throw in with the berries next time for even more a cheesecake vibe (I would estimate 1/3 cup of cubes would be good). But over all they are delicious! Not too sweet. A little tart from time to time depending on the berry. Would go great with a cup of Cream Early Grey or Strawberry black tea. By itself or part of a little tea party tray.
The combination of using honey and jam as alternate sweeteners with the nuttiness of coconut sugar really takes this into cheesecake territory, mimicking the taste of graham crackers and a strawberry coulis. And the mix of partially dehydrated strawberries with the finely diced fresh-frozen berries was lovely! No sogginess and lots of flavour!
- Just over 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold is fine
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar*
- 1/8 cup raw unpasteurized honey*
- 1/8 cup strawberry jam*
- 1 tbsp real vanilla*
- 3/8 cup plain organic cream cheese*
- 3/8 cup 3.5% milk*
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan* salt
- 1 cup spelt* flour
- 1/2 cup 00* pizza flour (you can use regular, this is just what I had on hand, and it’s fine like pastry flour, so should be okay ?? Ha!)
- 1 package of fresh strawberries (cleaned/pat dry/de-greened/sliced) partially dehydrated the night before (200F for a couple hours, keep turning, oh and make sure to put them on parchment!) *** save a few strawberries from the package for the frozen ones…
- 3 frozen strawberries diced very fine (from the same package of berries…freeze the night before in halves so easier to chop the next day! Protect those fingers!)
Blend butter and sweeteners. Add egg and blend. Then add cream cheese, milk and vanilla… beat til combined.
In another bowl mix all the dry ingredients.
Gently fold and combine wet with dry. Don’t over mix or they will be tough-y not fluffy.
Then fold in the dehydrated and frozen berry bits.
Divide mixture into 12 muffin cups in a muffin tin.
BAKE: (preheat oven while making the batter)
This is what I did…. but all ovens are different.
375F: 15 mins, checked gently with finger, then 7 mins
Reduce to 350F: Turn muffins and bake for 5 mins
Let cool for as long as you can stand it.
I always like to split them in half and add even more butter. CUZ BUTTER!