Anyway…. I am back! Hope to get a bunch of recipes up over the coming weeks.
And before I get into more complicated recipes I figured I would start with something simple yet super yummy and satisfying… That can be altered many ways.
GRILLED CHEESE FOR THE WIN.
Here’s how to make it a green monster.
What Ya Need:
- Bread (today I used marble rye!)
- Butter (for slathering all over the bread to get that golden yummy crust)
- Cheeses (at least 2 kinds. I used Jalepeno Jack and Saxon Shires – so technically I used 6 cheeses – doh! Saxon Shires)
- Pickled jalepenos (or fresh would be great too!)
- Green heirloom tomato – I liked to dab with paper towel to remove extra moisture (ya know to make it a green monster – plus they have an extra special flavour in my opinion. FACT: my fave tomatoes are yellow and green… they are kind of what made me like tomatoes. I didn’t really like them all that much – except cooked in a sauce – until a few years ago!)
- Ripe and perfect avocado
- Cracked pepper
- Special salt! (Smoked, Hibiscus, Ghost Pepper, what have you….) – I love this Vancouver company Maison Cote
Prep all your bits & pieces. Heat pan on stove to medium low. Toss butter in pan. Put bread in pan. Top with first kind of cheese, tomato slices, cracked pepper, avocado, salt, jalepenos, second kind of cheese, bread and more butter.
Cook in pan til bottom side is golden and cheese is melted. Flip carefully as this monster has serious fillings. Cook other side til, yes, you got it, golden and gooey, melty, delicious.
Serve with jalepeno hot sauce!
You could switch pickled jalepenos for fresh ones. You could use roasted poblano pepper in lieu of green tomato. You could easily turn this into a quesadilla and make it super authentic with Oaxaca cheese and add in some cilantro.
Just make sure the changes are still GREEN!