We are eating pretty healthy around here at the moment. So here is another one packed to the brim with veggies!
What Ya Need Veggies:
- Shredded or spiralized beets (1 large)
- Shredded or spiralized carrots (2-3)
- Julienne cucumbers (half large English cucumber)
- Julienne yellow peppers (1 bell)
- Sliced avocado (I just had 1 but preferably 2!)
- Thinly sliced scallions (2-3)
- Washed and dried Butter/Bibb/Boston lettuce leaves
What Ya Need Dressing: (NOTE: amounts are only approximate since I eyeballed it so adjust to your taste!)
- Garlic oil (cooled and reserved from making garlic chips 3-4 tablespoons)
- Sesame oil (2 teaspoons)
- Ume vinegar (2 tablespoons)
- Rice vinegar (1 tablespoons)
- Honey (1-2 tablespoons)
- Soy Sauce (1 tablespoon)
- White pepper (4-5 dashes)
- Miso paste (2 tsp)
- fresh ginger choppped (1-2 tablespoons)
Place all ingredients into a blender or tall container which fits a hand blender. Blend until smooth and adjust to taste.
What Ya Need Toppings:
- Toasted white sesame seeds (could use black sesame seeds or hemp hearts)
- Fried garlic chips (cook slices of fresh garlic in hot oil til golden brown, drain on paper towel, reserve oil for dressing)
- Bonito flakes (optional)
NOTE: Some fried tofu would be a nice addition or some tuna or sockey salmon sashimi if you eat fish. I would skip the bonito flakes in that case.
Place lettuces leaves around plate or bowl. Top with various vegetables. Drizzle dressing. Top with sesame, bonito and garlic chips.
NOTE: This salad gets soggy pretty quick so eat as soon as you have dressed it. You could try patting all the shredded veggies dry to reduce the moisture content. I might try this next time around.
Thanks to Tracy for the Ume vinegar inspiration! She made a yummy salad for us with Ume vinegar, lemon, garlic and toasted sesame seeds etc. I just need to get a hold of some flax oil before I try it out here 🙂 I feel like it might be nice with some chilled buckwheat noodles on the side and maybe a piece of miso marinated sablefish…. mmmmm can’t wait to try it out!