See I told you I would get to my version of a Buffalo Chicken Salad! (About Me section)
Soooooo I love hot sauce. You may have noticed that. If not, you will. I literally drink the stuff. I have actually literally guzzled hot sauce straight from the bottle for a photo shoot and let it dribble down my chin and onto my chest like some overzealous yet still glam contest eater that raps…. huh??? … That is another story. Let me have a little mystery ;P
So anyway. With that in mind. I came up with this idea one night and upon googling discovered that MANY OTHER PEOPLE also came to this conclusion. That buffalo chicken deserved it’s own salad. I mean they serve wings with a side of veggies in dip. It was basically begging to become a salad!
So here is my version. This is a dish I make and a dish I like.
- 1 shallot (if you don’t have shallots you can switch for a few cloves of garlic – it will be a more robust flavour but I do this too sometimes and it’s great)
- White wine vinegar (1 part)
- Cracked pepper (as much as you like)
- Himalyan salt (sea salt is fine – a few dashes)
- Olive oil (2 parts)
- Honey or cane sugar (enough to balance the acidity and give it smoothness)
Put everything in a blender or container that works with a hand blender and blend til smooth. Amounts are approximate so please adjust to taste!
Chicken: (Or Tofu if you are veggie)
- Chicken breast cut into bite sized chunks
- Seasoning (I like peri peri personally, but you can just use salt/pepper if you like – if using anything else just make sure it works with Buffalo sauce!)
- Olive oil
Cook chicken in heated/oiled pan til golden edges form and chicken is firm with a little bounce. You can check a couple larger pieces for doneness.
- Butter (1 part)
- Frank’s Hot Sauce (1 part)
Melt butter in a pot, add in hot sauce. Stir to combine.
NOTE: you can also use some Habenero or Sriracha if you want to augment the flavour a bit. Frank’s is classic. But my bottle was almost empty so this time I added in 3 diff red hot sauces to make up for it and it was still a great flavour. So you can definitely play around with it. Chipotle hot sauce would be a nice addition too!
- Avocado sliced
- Carrots julienned, grated or shaved with a peeler (I love this with yellow carrots especially but my grocery store didn’t have them this time)
- Bibb/Boston/Butter Lettuce and/or Romaine (washed and cut into skinny-ish strips)
- **English Cucumber sliced into coins – or those small ones used for pickling dills (**optional – I didn’t have any this time)
- Crumbled blue cheese (that was easy!)
Just pick your favorite kind! But I would personally use a Danish one like Rosenborg for that classic Buffalo Chicken with Blue Cheese flavour! Although in saying that, this time I tried it with Castello Blue Cheese but I found it to be a little saltier and not as creamy.
Put your greens on a plate. Top with avocado, carrots, and cucumber if you have it. I don’t like celery on a salad so I don’t do celery here you may have noticed. (Ummmmmm I’m pretty sure avocado WINS so I switch out celery for everyone’s favorite fruit/veggie/healthy fat – AVO!) Top with chicken and drizzle on Buffalo sauce. Add the blue cheese crumbles and then drizzle shallot dressing all over everything!
Here are the snaps!
NOTE: to make this vegetarian you could frie up some firm tofu in a pan with olive oil and then use instead of chicken! Woohoo. Easy right?!