Just to clarify before going further….this blog is not written by my cat. The dishes are also not cooked by my cat. That said, my cat wishes she could eat them all. At the moment I am a full-time mama who loves to cook. Loves to eat. Loves to witness her boys do the happy food dance! Loves to balance indulgence with healthy choices. And you will see that here! Even in this first recipe, if you can believe it – what is basically dessert for breakfast has a health-conscious twist. Yay!
So since the theme of my food blog is about both dishes I make (my own recipes) and dishes I like (existing recipes I love with variations) I figured I would start with something that was very spontaneous one morning, a.k.a., inspired by what was kicking around in my fridge and pantry… and more importantly by my little one who has been very excited to be learning his shapes! Pancakes will now forever be known in our house as GOLDEN CIRCLES!
So before I delve in. Here is a link to the original.
They are literally the lightest, fluffiest, most delectable little golden morsels of goodness. I never thought I could like pancakes other than blueberry-buckwheat or crepes… The standard griddle cakes you would get anywhere would actually make me feel sick to the point of needing a nap! And I just couldn’t justify all those empty calories for something so stodgey, so blah….. But kids LOVE pancakes and ever since we made these we are hooked! Bonus feature – we never feel icky after. (Probably the scant amount of flour in the recipe). So now that we have the benefit of said recipe… thank you Pioneer Woman… why not play around with it?! So look down below for the * to see what I did differently. NOTE: I have a few more ideas up my sleeve which we will be trying soon. So stayed tuned for those. I can’t wait!!
Churros Pancakes with Macadamia Nuts and Cajeta
- 1 cup Sour Cream (full fat kind always – do not use light YUCK)
- 7 Tablespoons Organic Spelt Flour* (health conscious twist)
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar or Coconut Palm or Cane Sugar*
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Large Eggs (Cage-Free/Free-Range if you can swing it*)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract* (I like a lot of vanilla, I might have even added more that than to be honest)
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon* (feel free to add a little more if you want them extra flavorful – they are supposed to be reminiscent of Churros after all!)
- Butter, For Frying* (I found I didn’t need to add extra butter to serve as well – ahem Cajeta!!!)
- Chopped Macadamia Nuts* (I used honey roasted as that is what was on hand but plain would be fine) NOTE: I love adding nuts to carby breakfast foods ’cause then you can rationalize that there is at least some PROTEIN! And (IMO) it tastes extra yummy.
- Cajeta* (Mexican Caramel) I use a lovely local Vancouver product, in particular the Vanilla one by OMG Cajeta!
- And if you feel like you can’t do pancakes without syrup feel free to also drizzle on some REAL MAPLE SYRUP as well. It tastes yummy both ways!
Preheat your frying pan to medium heat. Do not add in butter yet!!!* (It will burn and smoke by the time your batter is ready – BUT I do like to preheat my pan cause I am impatient and a not-hot pan will make your pancakes very sad)
Whisk the eggs and vanilla in a bowl til fluffy.
In another bowl, stir the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt with a fork til evenly distributed.
In still yet another, bigger bowl, combine the sour cream with the dry ingredients but do not over mix. Then add in the egg mixture – again do not over mix. It will look a tad lumpy – that’s fine!
Now that your batter is ready…throw in a pad of butter (haha I can’t believe I said pad of butter – who am I?? Sounded better than blob or chunk – she rationalized). Ladle batter into pan (1/4-1/3 cup will do per cake -depending how big your pan is). Cook on SIDE A (forgive me, I used to work in music) until lots of little bubbles start popping up… no soooner my kitties – or you will have a gross undercooked mess on your hands. Then flip to SIDE B (what a nerd) and cook for a minute or so… And gauge the heat of your pan…. if you feel like it’s browning too deeply for your liking – turn it down a bit. Sometimes it’s good to do a test pancake and then you can use that excuse to eat one before everyone else gets one! Or you can make adjustments in case you totally made a mess of it. Don’t fret (oh no she didn’t).
Also note this recipe serves 2 adults 1 kid. Or 1 hungry adult 1 kid 1 toddler. If you need to feed more people OR are particularly HANGRY and/or glutenous or even glutinous – what have you – then DOUBLE IT!
Oh and here are some snaps. I am kind of a go-go-go person and the kids are still little – so I mostly won’t take pics of every detail – sometimes you will only get a plated photo! And when I say plated – they are not going to be as fancy pants as a lot of blogs out there. I just don’t have the time and am usually too hungry by that point. But I will try my best to at least give you the important stuff that could make or break a recipe. And make it look decently palatable.
Enjoy and stay tuned for further alterations and ideas. This is… A DISH I LIKE!